Sunday, May 25, 2008

In Due Time

So much has happened since Andrew & I returned from our weekend with family. What to say. What to say.... First of all. Jenny rocks!!!!

Still questioning the love of the universe. Logan Airport facilities was organised by angels. 8 year old boys should not be allowed to touch anything, nor should they be allowed to take team ballcaps out of town. Bacon grease burns like a muthah, and Beth is the Goddess of all that is first aide! Still no blisters.

Started this blog how many days ago. Again. Lots has happened. Andrew is doing his evil vs devil dance that he so frequently does since he returned from spring break. Tonight, he redeemed himself from his evility of last eve.

A friendly colleague (not really a friend, but always fun in the office) died of a massive heart attack on Saturday. He was only 52. We are hoping it was after his daughter's college graduation ceremony. Gerry was totally irreverent, yet kept us all real. He could be a pain in the arse, but always with good measure. Just a year ago, he lost his son in a car crash. This year, we lost him. I guess it is our loss, as he is now with his son. He cherished all three of his kids. I digress. Lisa & I went to the service. Full Catholic Mass. Having turned the page from religious to spiritual eons ago, I have to say that I squirmed in my seat more than a few times - even in between the up/down/up/downs that is a catholic mass. The service was lovely, and I hope Gerry approved. Former colleague Paul sang a wonderful rendition of some eagle soaring and mountain top song. Apparently, it is quite popular at Catholic funeral services. Anyway, several weeks ago, Andrew & I attended a charming service at the West Unity Methodist Church. It was a bit on the evangelical side, yet was very welcoming and comforting. It had me wondering if maybe I should be looking for a church in or near Exeter for Andrew & I to join. Then today. Maybe it was just this church, or this minister/priest. Who knows, but I do have to say I felt like a 2nd class peasant. This is after feeling like, eventhough we were all there supposedly to celebrate in Gerry's life, we were being preached to about the symbols of Christ (nothing whatsoever about living a christian life). At the start of Communion, the priest said all catholics are welcome to partake. Non-catholics can be blessed if they so chose, but only by him as only priests are allowed to bless people. He instructed those infidels to go into a separate line and to cross their arms over their chests as a symbol of not being worthy of communion. Now, I've been to many a non-catholic service and partook in communion - no separate lines or arm chest crossing. West Unity as an example. Didn't partake there as it was real glutenous bread, and I was still dealing with my inner conflict (still not sure who has won yet.....)
All this being said, I'm not sure what to say anymore. What I thought was good might not be, and what I thought I should avoid, maybe I shouldn't. I don't live my life in a 'shoulda-woulda-coulda' way at all. Still, the universe makes ya wonder what it's all about. I'm sure we'll all find out in due time.
Sweet dreams Gerry. I've got printer watch from now on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful, moving memorial to your friend. I am so sorry for his friends and family.

I'd love to hear how Andrew redeemed himself.